We have answers to your questions, we can help.

What is an Un-Filed Tax Return?

An un-filed tax return is exactly as it sounds, a tax return for which the taxpayer had a filing requirement to file a tax return which is not past due or delinquent. There are many valid reasons that taxpayers may have failed to file a required tax return, but there is something important to note. All taxpayers should be aware that the failure to file required tax returns, could be construed as a criminal act on behalf of the taxpayer. This type of criminal act is punishable by one year in jail for each year not filed. Needless to say it’s one thing to owe the IRS money, but an entirely different thing to potentially lose your freedom for failing to file a tax return.

The IRS may file “SFR” (Substitute For Return) Tax Returns for you. This is the IRS’s version of your un-filed tax return that you were supposed to file. Because SFR returns are filed in the best interest of the government, the only deductions you’ll see are standard deductions and one personal exemption. You will not get credit for deductions which you may be entitled to such as exemptions for spouses, children, interest and taxes on your home, cost of any stock or real estate sales, and business expenses, etc. Even so, you still have the right to file your original tax return, no matter how late it’s filed.

What do I do now?

Get your Un-Filed Returns settled with Tax Help

The IRS may have these harsh penalties, but they are also pragmatic and know that you cannot pay your taxes from a jail cell. They will typically instead levy penalties against you for not filing your tax returns for previous years. In this situation, it is best to be proactive so that the likelihood of penalties incurred do not result in extreme measures taken, such as jail time. The vast majority of us want to do the right thing, and will pay our taxes to the IRS when it comes down to it.

We know that if you’re here reading this, it means you want to pay your taxes and stop collection activities. You already took the first step in the right direction since you’re here visiting our website looking for Tax Help. Being proactive is much better than waiting for the IRS to knock on your door or come to your place of work.

It is understandable that not everyone can file their tax returns on time. If you need assistance with solving your un-filed returns for previous years, we recommend scheduling an appointment below. Our goal is to reduce or remove tax burdens and sleepless nights that get in the way of your life. By speaking to one of our professionals here at Tax Help, we can assist in accomplishing that goal together!

Need to file Un-Filed Returns? We’re here to help.

Schedule an appointment with us today to discuss your tax situation. We can get this handled together! If you would like to schedule an appointment with one of our tax professionals, click the button below to set up a free consultation.